Obviously I can’t have a fully formed opinion on the book yet, as I haven’t finished it. There are definitely one or two things that have kind of rubbed me strangely so far – things I’m not sure I totally buy; but I’m wholly impressed with it, overall. I think the pacing is something that other writers should aspire to, particularly. It never feels rushed or slags behind – it’s kind of perfect, to be honest.
Is that a weird thing to say? I think it’s one thing to be impressed with the premise or the setting/characters being new or interesting (and I’m not saying that it isn’t a feat on its own to have those in a book), but it’s a separate kind of admiration I have recognizing someone for being good at the ~*craft*~ of writing.
How fucking bougie does that sound? The craft of writing.
A few other things I love about EVE, kept vague because spoilers are for the birds:
- A healthy romantic relationship between the two main characters
- A well thought out and unique premise and setting
- Percy and Sanchez
- Doesn’t take itself too seriously – like, it’s not a goddamn downer to read, even if serious shit is going down
- Percy and Eve
- Anatomically possible action sequences
- Percy and Jason
- Actually, let me reiterate that I really enjoy Jason and Eve together and how natural their relationship came into being and how it’s been evolving. It pleases me in the cold, dark recesses of my cave-like heart.
I will be finishing this lil’ guy by the end of the week, and maybe I will update this post then. In sum, though, let’s just say I think even if you don’t normally like sci-fi, you will probably still enjoy this book. Oh, you do normally enjoy sci-fi? Then you will definitely enjoy this book.
Also, I believe a sequel is happening?? I would very much like for a sequel to happen. I’d even take the same book told from Percy’s point of view, even if I usually hate that trick on principle. Because Percy.
It’s going to be a miserably cold Monday for me tomorrow (unless it snows, fingers crossed, and I get the day off work); but I hope y’all have a good week. 🙂
Cheers till next time!